I saw him the other day. I was clubbing with friends for my belated 21st when I was yanked by the arm into the eyes of a familiar face; a face that brought butterfly flutters to my stomach, a feeling I knew so well four years ago.
My high school sweetheart. I would never have predicted that the cute rugby player who invited me to sit with him in our year 11 maths class would become an irrevocable part of my life. Granted, we’re no longer together and never will be again, but first loves pave the way for future relationships. The first ‘I love you’ on a backyard slide, the first time breaking a hammock when you jump on top of him (whoops), the first time he becomes misty-eyed at the sight of you dolled up, the first spiderman kiss, the first (and hopefully last) time bunking in to your dad’s tent together after a pole impaled yours during a storm, and the first time loving someone so much that it physically aches to imagine your lives untwining. There’s also the first time resisting the urge to embrace him in the backseat of a car post-breakup, the first time kissing someone else and disliking the feeling of a foreign nose hugging yours, and the first time seeing him with one of your best friends. Whilst first loves can bring a lot of heartache, it’s the tingles and exhilaration that give us hope for future relationships. I’ve come to appreciate that even if I were never to be with another, I’m lucky to have had such a magical first love; to have merely loved someone who loved me in return. Although our romance has seized, our memories will pop up throughout my life; giving new meaning and appreciation to a chapter once closed.
As they say, when one door closes another one opens. I thought it’d be a fun idea to answer quirky relationship questions that could very well reveal deal breakers in my next relationship. Pineapple on pizza? F*ck yes.
- How good are you at cooking?
- I’m more of a ‘chuck veggies on a pan and stir’ kind of gal. If I’m feeling saucy (pun intended) I might add some soup to the mix (pun too many?).
- What upsets you most in a relationship and what makes you happiest?
- What upsets me the most is when a partner is close-minded. Being opinionated and passionate are attractive qualities, but if their views lack compassion or the ability to hear others’ perspectives, we have an issue. What makes me happiest is a handwritten note. I’m very sentimental and have a little box of all the letters I’ve ever been given.
- Have you ever found yourself attracted to someone of the same sex?
- Very much so.
- Would you rather fart popcorn or have your past web browsing history available to everyone?
- Is that even a question? Farting popcorn could be very profitable. As for my browsing history – that would just be embarrassing. Today I googled, ‘Why does my eyelid twitch?’
- How do you think you’re perceived when others meet you for the first time?
- I’m overly polite and smiley, so I tend to appear quite submissive and innocent. Quite often I’m perceived as a bit of a ditz, too. I’m working on my assertiveness and confidence!
- If you could eat anything at all right now, what would you choose?
- That pesto pasta in Spain really tickled my fancy…
- Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
- Unless required to retrieve your feet, ain’t nobody got time for dat (and if you do have time for that, I question your priorities!).
- Is sex about constantly pushing the boundaries or playing by the rules?
- You discover your rules by pushing the boundaries!
- Do you have any bad habits?
- I dry my hands on the tea towel instead of the hand towel FAR too often. Oh, and sometimes I sit in my bath towel for half an hour because I can’t be bothered getting dressed..
- Would you rather begin every sentence with ‘Hey Idiot’ or end every sentence with ‘Haha just kidding’?
- Definitely the latter.
‘Hey babe, have you orgasmed yet?’
‘So close, haha just kidding.’ ♥